The Food Security and Livelihoods Program focuses on projects that aim to break the cycle of poverty and meet emergency needs of food.
Projects are used to promote economic and social development.
It also aims to help secure the resources needed to generate income, as well as to provide sustainable livelihoods for the current and future generations and to enhance their well-being.PROGRAM MISSION
Ensure food security and sustainable development by improving the lives of the most vulnerable through promoting the sustainable use of available resources, including equitable sharing and sharing of benefits arising from implemented projects.
Focus on people who aren't able to produce enough food and income or do not have the means to obtain the minimum family requirements for an active and healthy life.
AREAS OF EXPERTISE
1. Sustainable Agriculture and Food Security: Increase beneficiary options through economic focus on strategic crops, livestock assets and social and environmental standpoints by designing and implementing the distribution of agricultural inputs, irrigation systems, rehabilitation and provision of extension services. In addition, WATAN is working on the formulation, activation and operation of relevant local institutions to resume its functions after appropriate delivery at the end of its long-term programs.
2. Emergency Food Security & Livelihoods: Mitigating new risks and challenges arising from crisis, responding by emergency food kits distribution, and promoting positive coping strategies in the scarcity of emergencies feeding access.
3. Financial Services: Contribute to self-reliance and strengthen the capacity of Governments, local communities and regional organizations by integrating capacity development through income-generating activities ranging from micro grants and small business management training to restart businesses.PROGRAM HISTORY
The first project was initiated in 2012 by the Food Security Program, which resulted in the distribution of 3,800 food baskets in Homs, Hama, Aleppo, the Damascus rural and Deir Ezzor to help 22,400 beneficiaries. Due to successful implementation and urgent needs, WATAN worked in the same year to support bakeries and provide 210 tons of flour in Deir Ezzor with RAHMA International.
The program has expanded the focus to more sustainable long-term outcomes, from planting seed schemes, farming tools and agricultural services to support livestock.PROGRAM PHILOSOPHY AND DIFFERENTIATORS
The immediate urgent response is at the cornerstone of food security and livelihood programs planning.
With partners on the ground inside Syria, are readily available to access various hard-to-access areas with security in mind, in order to reach the most vulnerable.
WATAN aims to develop its program achievements to activities that involve increasing skill levels and empowering communities to acquire diverse skills for more sustainability.
WATAN also looks forward to expanding its role in providing assistance to small businesses and business partnerships, as well as offering micro grants, internships and scholarships.
WATAN also wants to expand its capacity in the area of agriculture and livestock through expansion in its scope and the numbers of beneficiaries.
WATAN’s work in the FSL program stands out for the following reasons:
• People: Its dedicated staff, volunteers and partners are always working to provide nutritious food in hard-to-reach areas and promote lasting solutions under difficult security conditions.
• Presence: Present in all provinces, and access to all areas affected by the Syrian crisis. WATAN has an unrivalled network, deep field presence, local knowledge and great relationships, inside and outside Syria.
• Long-term sustainable interventions: responding with impactful interventions, such as micro grants and livestock exchange schemes, to achieve sustainable long-term outcomes that will continue to be a major focus of society.
Seeing the success of others in society will build awareness.
Small horticulture is an example, where achievement is the effect and motivate others to follow.PROJECTS
• Rapid emergency assistance
• RAF distribution
•For a better life.
• Qurbani campaigns.