The education program facilitates learning and acquiring knowledge, skills and values. Education can take place in formal or informal settings.
WATAN runs and supports schools in Syria and Turkey with the aim of contributing to the development of students' knowledge, personality and trust, and helps identify, develop and support unique talents and abilities.
The program mentor’s students through high school until they graduate university, by providing many supporting activities such as student seminars, and by sharing ways to achieve scholarship opportunities. Workshops have been established to promote cohesion between Syrian and Turkish students, to discuss their common causes, as well as the challenges of integrating into the Turkish university environment.
AREAS OF EXPERTISE
1. Formal education: Operating schools, school equipment, rehabilitation of school buildings and staff training.
2. Informal education: Integration projects, summer schools and extra- curricular activities.
3. Higher education: Syrian refugee university scholarship, social activities and language courses.
4. Developing life Skills: Extracurricular activities- including clubs, athletic activities and support with integrating internally displaced persons and refugees with the host communities .
The education program has started in the beginning of 2012 as an urgent need for Syrian refugee and IDPs in Turkey and Syria across provided more than 800 Syrian children in Syria and 100 Syrian children in Turkey with formal education,
catch up classes and psychosocial support. Later, WATAN started work in Lebanon - Akkar, WATAN provided 350 Syrian refugees with formal education,
in Tripoli provided 200 Syrian refugees with psychodrama center, In Syria – Homs provided 750 Syrian children with formal education.
IN 2015 education program expanded work according to Syrian children needs in Turkey and Syria.
The number of beneficiaries increased to more than 32566 benefited from formal education service and Summer Programs.
Also, expanded geographically to reach Idleb, Aleppo, and Turkey.
The number of beneficiaries increased more in 2016 to reach more than 33060 in Northern and Southern Rural of Idleb, Northern Rural of Aleppo and Turkey.
Now in 2017 Education Program increased the number of beneficiaries to more than 16000 providing service packages such as Formal education, Informal education, Summer programs, Recreational activities, voluntary campaigns, scholarships and Psychosocial support.
PROGRAM PHILOSOPHY AND DIFFERENTIATORS
WATAN has the ability to respond to emergencies in the education sector, especially in places where there is a significant influx of displaced persons, and hard-to-reach areas with stationary requirements and essential educational needs.
WATAN continues to develop its education program by improving access to education and in 2017 aims to increase its support for more schools and scholarships for university students, as well as provide more specialized training for its staff.
WATAN's goals are to rebuild the Syrian society by developing the educational landscape and preparing professional and trained teachers for education, inspiration, learning and change. WATAN recognizes the building of the capacity of Syrian children through psychological and social support as vital importance.
WATAN Education program works strategically to achieve its objectives:
• Distinguished by a strong network of partners.
• A deep understanding of the society and its circumstances.
• Provide psychological support for children in schools through specialists in each institute.
• Provide training for all school staff to ensure high quality education.
• Provide summer programs and life skills activities.
WATAN's education program has implemented a range of projects to provide a bright future for Syrian youth.
• Idleb rural schools
• Schools in Northern Syria
• Qah School
• School in Turkey